TWIC organises a programme of excursions each year, some in conjunction with local recording groups. These excursions are planned primarily to obtain biodiversity data from sites across our
region. Priority is usually given to sites proposed as Local Biodiversity Sites (pLBS), as this means that any data generated from the excursions can be used in the site assessment. Recorders of all groups of organisms are
welcome. Whether or not you have been on one of our excursions before or are a newcomer you are most welcome to join us.
Please contact the excursion leader beforehand (leaving your contact telephone number) so that they know to expect you. It is rare that we have to cancel an excursion, but should this occur we will endeavor to contact you
by phone. Also, please check the website the evening before the outing if possible as any last minute changes will be published here.
Join the mailing list: If you would like to receive notifications of forthcoming TWIC recording excursions by email, please contact email@example.com and ask to be
TWIC documents page.
For information on previous year's recording excursions, please click on the links at the side of the page.
Recorders enjoying a visit to Mavisbank, Midlothian. Photograph courtesy of Gary Hovell (LARG).
Forthcoming Excursions 2019
Saturday 6 July – Calderwood SSSI, West Lothian
Site details: Calderwood SSSI is situated on the south east edge of Livingston immediately south of Mid Calder village (vice-county 83 Midlothian, site centred on NT074665). The site is a biological SSSI and is
notified for its upland oak woodland and wetland (valley fen) habitats.
Leader: Jackie Stewart (TWIC) and Katty Baird. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or mob 07899980413 (Jackie).
Aim: At the request of Scottish Natural Heritage and West Lothian Council, we have been invited to run a recording excursion to the site, with a particular emphasis on invertebrate recording. The visit is to tie in with National Meadows Day.
Meeting details: Meet at 10:30 am at the Almondell & Calderwood Country Park car park on the A71 (grid reference NT078661). A map can be viewed here:
www.westlothian.gov.uk/media/1341/Almondell-and-Calderwood-Country-Park-Map/pdf/AlmondellParkMap-20161.pdf.The car park is marked ‘Oakbank’ on this map.
Requirements: Lunch, outdoor footwear, waterproofs/ sunscreen and sunhat (as weather dictates).
1. For further information please contact the TWIC office (01875 825968) or email email@example.com.
2. Safety on excursions: Anyone attending a TWIC excursion does so at their own risk.
3. Anyone who can assist with transport to excursions, or who requires assistance with transport should contact TWIC who will endeavour to put recorders in contact with one another to arrange matters themselves.
4. The leader reserves the right to change or cancels outings as circumstances dictate.
5. The leader's mobile phone number is for contacting him/her on the day.
6. Records from excursions will be uploaded to the NBN Atlas Scotland.